Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What's For Dinner Wednesday-Ham and Cheese Quiche

I made this quiche a while back for a church potluck and got several comments on its tastiness.  I thought I would share the recipe with y'all as well. 

I really love a good quiche.  When the hubby and I were visiting France a couple of years ago I fell in love with Quiche Loraine.  I haven't tried making one myself for the fear that it won't be as good as the French version I had on many different occasions! 

Instead, I keep trying other quiche recipes to fulfill my love of baked eggs and cream!  The great thing about quiches is that you can just dump bunches of different things in and it will yield a yummy, creamy concoction.  Well, maybe not just any combination, but almost!

Here is the list of ingredients for this Ham and Cheese Quiche
Pie Crust:
either ready made or this flavorful homemade version
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp. paprika
2 tbsp. cold water

For the filling you will need:
2 tbsp. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
3 eggs
1 cup half and half
4 slices swiss cheese
1/2 cup chopped spinach
4 oz. can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup diced ham
1 cup cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Combine the crust ingredients in a bowl, all except the water. 


Mix together, add water as needed.  The crust holds together very well and is so soft that I just pat it out to size with my hands, no rolling pin needed.  I am telling you crust recipes with butter are the best all the way around.  Easy to make, easy to work with, and easy to eat!  Can't get much better than that!!  Pat your dough out to the size of your pie pan.
Transfer the crust to your pie pan.  Pat the edges us to to top of the pan.

Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then let cool.

In a medium bowl beat together flour, salt, pepper, eggs, and half and half.


Cover the bottom of the pie crust with swiss cheese.


Sometimes it is beneficial to have a little pajama clad helper to do a little extra beating of the egg mixture, just to make sure it is well blended!
Sprinkle spinach evenly over the cheese and place mushrooms on top of spinach.

Pour egg mixture over mushrooms.  Cover with ham and sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top. 

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the filling is set and the top is golden brown.
Take that baby out of the over!  Let it cool slightly, then cut and serve.

This really is a very easy meal to make, with out a lot of prep work.  If you use a pre-made crust you cut about 5-10 minutes off the prep time.  So, this is a great option for busy Mom's who want something easy to fix when they come home from work.  This dish is so creamy and the extra seasonings in the crust really adds to the overall flavor of the quiche.  I think this dish is going to appear again at our house very soon! 

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!