Monday, September 12, 2011

Makin' It Monday-Embellished Backpack

Mr. E needed a backpack for preschool again this year.  There is nothing wrong with the backpack from last year.  I just didn't like getting his school work back all crinkled from where he would cram it in his bag.  The bag was a little smaller than a normal sheet of paper, so he had to cram it to get it to fit. 

Can you blame me for wanting to preserve pristine works of art?  I mean 30 years from now (probably because it will take me that long) when we reminisce about the time Mr. E was in preschool I would rather see his work, than the creases and folds all over the paper. 

Thus enters the new backpack.  

I found this awesome Nautica backpack at my local Goodwill for $3.00!!!  It is totally cool just the way it is, but I felt the need to add a little more to the bag.  First of all Mr. E's name has to be on the bag somewhere, so why not add the name and a little boy bling at the same time. 

Since Mr. E is crazy about tractors, especially John Deere tractors I decided to applique the John Deere Logo on the front and use some John Deere fabric for his name too.  How appropriate for my tractor lovin' baby!

I ironed my fabric to some Wonder Under and then traced the letters for Mr. E's name.  Then I cut out and ironed the letters to the backpack.  To add some extra detail, and support I used yellow embroidery floss around the letters and the logo. 

Mr. E is pleased with the outcome and the extra details make it easier for him to find his backpack in the line of backpacks at school! 
Hope you find some good deals on your next thrifting visit!  Maybe even some you can spruce up a bit too!

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!