Thursday, September 29, 2011

What's for Dinner- Italian Spiral Meatloaf

This is a recipe out of a Taste of Home magazine. I love trying new recipes, especially ones from Taste of Home. I haven't met a bad one yet!

I made this meatloaf several months ago when we had company. It was a huge hit. Four adults and three kids (that includes my two who don't always eat big portions) almost completely devoured this dish. Did I mention it is supposed to feed 15?

When these friends had a baby recently I offered to bring them supper. When I asked the new Dad what he might want, he suggested this casserole. I ended up splitting the recipe and making two meat loafs. One for them, and one for us to keep. I couldn't give it all away, I mean it is just too yummy for that!

Here is your list of ingredient ( for the 15 servings)
2 eggs
1 cup pizza sauce, divided
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. Dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 lbs ground beef
1 lb Italian sausage
1/2 lb sliced deli ham
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (6 oz.) jar sliced mushrooms

In a bowl combine the eggs, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, bread crumbs,onion, pepper, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Crumble the meat and sausage into the bowl and mix all the ingredients well.






On a piece of parchment paper pat the meat mixture into a 12x10 rectangle.



Layer the ham, 1 1/2 cups cheese, and mushrooms over the meat mixture to within one inch of the edge. Roll the meat mixture up jelly roll style, starting at one of the shorter ends. Peel the parchment paper away as you roll. Seal the seam and the edges of the meatloaf. Place seam side down in a greased casserole dish.




Brush with the remaining pizza sauce.



Bake at 375 uncovered for an hour. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the internal temperature is 160. Using spatulas transfer to a serving plate.



Slice, serve, and enjoy!

Happy Baking!

Amy


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!