Friday, September 23, 2011

Frugal Finds-Kid Addition

It is that time of year. Kids are going back to school and the weather is starting to change. What does that mean? New clothes for the kiddos.

I like to think of myself as a frugal shopper. I love a good deal! I mean who doesn't right?

Being a stay at home mom who is going back to school really cuts the family budget. I don't mind because I still get to have lots of fun shopping. I just don't shop in the same places I used to.

I know there are blogs dedicated to thrift store apparel, and I agree with those bloggers! You don't have to buy retail to buy brand name! Not to mention buying at thrift stores and yard sales is a true boost to our economy. That money goes straight in to American bank accounts! (sorry for the political side bar)

Anyway, back to shopping. Around the beginning of fall is when I start thinking about what ,y kids are going to need for the cooler weather. I go through their closets and see what they have. For instance I still have several outfits from last winter for Miss C. She is such a little skinny mini that some of last years clothes still fit in the waist. These will probably only last for a little while and then she will be moving up a size by Christmas. Mr. E has the same situation, except last years pants are too short and most have wholes.

After accessing the situation I start shopping. I love going to my local Goodwill stores. Kids clothes are $1.50 an item, and this includes coats! My town also has a local consignment sale. That just happened to be this weekend. I went Thursday night to shop with my Mom and we were able to finish stocking up on my children's clothing needs.

Here is the spread of clothes for Miss C.







I have a few more things that are already hanging in her closet too. This ate some things I previously scored on Goodwill visits.

There is a total of 16 tops, 4 pairs of pajamas, 8 sweaters/jackets, 14 pairs of pants, 6 dresses, 3 skirt and top outfits, 8 pairs of new panties and 9 pairs of socks.

Here are some of my favorites.

This white dress is a beautiful smocked dress I found at the consignment sale for $9. The red dress is from heartstrings that I found at goodwill for $1.50.



I love this mini Boden outfit! It was only $5.



This adorable brown jumper is handmade! I love the fall colors.



I also picked up a couple of pairs of shoes. The princess snow boots are Miss C's favorite item!





Now for Mr. E. I have been collecting for a while for him. I have a coup,e of friends with boys a little older and a size or two bigger than Mr. E. These friends have been gracious enough to let me go through there kids old clothes and buy some of their stuff!


Mr. E can still wear his winter jacket from last year, so that was one big item I did t Haney to worry about. I did find a cool pair of ski pants for winter play though! I stocked up in 8 pairs of jeans. The kid would wear them year round if I didn't hide them in the summer.

We also were able to find several church outfits with button up shirts. I have a couple of clip on ties for him to wear, and I plan on making a couple more out of some ties I found at Goodwill and some my Dad didn't wear anymore.

Lastly we got tons of tops! I got two brand new plain t-shirts at the Dollar Store. They were on,y a dollar, and both were brand name t-shirts. I plan on them to be layering items with summer t-shirts. I may go a head and do some freezer paper stenciling too. Not sure yet.

As you can tell my kids aren't going to be lacking in the clothes department this fall!
And when you total them all up it is about $200-$250 for each child. I really don't think that is bad for the massive quantity I was able to score!


If you have never tried Thrifting, then you need to give it a chance and see what deals are out there just waiting to be made!

Happy Thrifting!

Amy


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!