Wednesday, August 17, 2011

What's For Dinner Wednesday-Apple Pie

I love pie, well I love anything sweet. Apples are definitely a good sweet treat We have an apple tree in our back yard and I love cooking with them. The apples aren't ready yet, but making an apple pie increases my anticipation for all the yummy apple dishes I can make this fall!

Let's make a delicious, scrumptious, mouthwatering apple pie!

Here's what we need:

Filling
6 cups thinly sliced apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon all spice

Crust
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
4 to 5 tablespoons cold water

We need to start by peeling the apples, this is the most time consuming part for me! I used 8 medium red apples.



Add the sugar, slour, spices, and lemon juice. Mix well. I added a little more flour to my mix. The extra tablespoon of flour makes the filling stick together and not as runny.



Now to make the dough for the crust (double crust, one for the bottom and one for the top)

Start by putting the flour and cold pieces of butter in a bowl. Mix them with a pastry mixer, or by hand (that is the messy way). Blend together to get the butter worked into the flour. Add the water, one to two tablespoons at a time. Mix until all the flour forms a ball. Separate the dough into two balls. Roll one ball into a circle the size of your pan on a floured area. The butter crust is easy to roll out, I actually just pat it out to my desired circumference with my hands.



Transfer the crust to the pie pan.



Pour the apple mixture into the pan. I had to press the apples down to get them all in the crust.



Roll out your second crust and place on top if the pie. Pinch the seams together to seal the crusts. Cut a few slits in the top to allow the steam to escape while baking.



Cover the edges with foil and bake 375 for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for 20 more minutes.

Take the pie out and enjoy! Especially with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Yum! Yum!



Happy Baking!

Amy

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!