Monday, June 27, 2011

Makin' It Monday-Swimsuit Refashion Round 2

Okay I know that I showed you a simple modesty update to a swimsuit two weeks ago.  This week I am gonna take the original ugly swim suit and show you how to make a cute set of bottoms!!

I don't know about you all, but I think it is hard to find a swimsuit that really fits my dairy air!! 

I am not really ready for the granny pantie version of swimsuit bottoms that come up over my belly button, but I am tempted by the butty coverage they offer.

My solution to this problem is to make my own swimsuit bottoms!!!

So I took the old Grandma swimsuit from my friends modesty refashion.  I ended up deconstruction the swim suit into the skirt, the bottom, and the top.  I took the bottoms and matched the up with a pair of good fitting underwear.

I turned the cut ends over and pinned to the correct length.  I tried them on to make sure they hit right above my hips.  Once I was satisfied with the fit of the bottoms I sewed a casing for my elastic. I used 1/4 in elastic since that is what I had on hand.  I measured my waist and added a couple of inches to determine the length of elastic I needed.

Now it is time to feed the elastic through the casing you made.  Take a safety pin and run it through one end. 

Rip open one of the side seams and start to feed the safety pin into the casing.

Keep pushing the safety pin through the casing until it is all the way around the waistband.  Now take the two ends of the elastic and pin them together.
(sorry the pic is blurry)

Stretch the waistband out so that it is smooth over the elastic.  Cut off the excess elastic and hand stitch the ends together.  Make sure you secure it pretty well!!  We don't want any wardrobe malfunctions in the pool!! 

Once again stretch the waistband so that the elastic ends are in the casing.  Now hand stitch the side seam closed!! 

I added a second sewed line around the waistband right below the original one for the casing.  The gives a more finished look and some extra stability!

Finally I cut off the excess fabric!!

Now to find a tip to go with my new bottoms.  Don't get me started on how hard it is to find a swimsuit top to cover and support!!!  I swear swimsuit makers don't think about what pregnancy does to your body!!!

Happy Swimming!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!