Monday, April 26, 2010

Makin' It Monday-Monogrammed Coasters and Trivet

My husband and I went to a wedding this weekend.  I needed to come up with a gift...so I decided on Monogrammed Coasters!! 

I started by gathering my supplies:

Tiles, square for coasters and a rectangle for a trivet
Felt/Cork
Hot Glue Gon
Scrapbook Paper
Paper with Monogram on it...I printed mine off from Word and wrote over the letter with a sharpie to make the monogram darker.
Scissors/Paper cutter
Mod Podge
Spray Sealant

Cut your scrapbook paper to the deminsion of your coaster.  I cut mine a little shorter so I would have a boarder around my coaster.

Cut out your paper and then add a layer of mod podge. 

Lay your paper on your tile and press down.  Then add another layer of mod podge on top of your paper.  Let this dry. 

For the coasters I cut out my monogrammed block and then added it on top of my other layer of paper.  Then I added another layer of mod podge. 

Then in  a well ventelated area spray the coasters/trivet with a water proof sealant.  I found mine at Hobby Lobby.  I added 2 layers of the gloss selant.  This gave the coasters a nice finished look.

Take your hot glue gun and spread a layer of glue over the back surface of the tile.

Press the coark/felt down onto the tile.

And your done!!

This makes a great gift or an addition to your own home. Very quick and easy.  Not to mention CHEAP!!  I found the tiles for 12 cents!! 

Happy Crafting!!

 














Photobucket


Decor Mamma


UndertheTableandDreaming

5 comments:

  1. I personally think you can never have too many coasters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    What a great wedding gift- I will keep these in mind as wedding season approaches! Thanks for stopping by!

    Heather
    lulustiles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always wanted to make a few of these - Thanks for the great tutorial! Would love to have you stop by The Sunday Showcase Party if you get a chance! I think a few of these for the summer deck would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by and joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Your tiles look faulous and you can't beat that price! Hope you have a wonderful week. Hope to see you again next Sunday! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!