Wednesday, July 6, 2011

What's for Dinner Wednesday-Coconut Chicken Salad

This just might be the best salad I have ever eaten.  I had originally planned on cooking the chicken strips with some vegetables, but the head of lettuce in my fridge was just begging to be used.

I started this meal by preparing the chicken strips.  Here is what you need.

12 chicken strips
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup bread crumbs
1-2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  Combine the coconut, bread crumbs, and spices.  Mix well.

Place the flour in a shallow bowl and the egg in another small bowl. Beat the egg slightly.

Dip the chicken in the flour, then the egg, and finally  in the coconut mixture.  Coat thoroughly.  I like to spread the remaining coconut mixture over all of the strips when they are on the baking sheet.  I like the extra crunchies!!

Place the strips on a foil lined baking sheet that has been lightly greased.  I am all about easy clean-up and lining a baking sheet with foil is one of the easiest ways I know to accomplish this.

Drizzle with olive oil and then bake for 20 minutes.

While the chicken is cooking start on the salad.

Chop one head of lettuce and place in a bowl.  Add your favorite veggies!  I used 1/4 cup of sliced carrots, 1/4 cup of halved grapes, and 2 Roma tomatoes diced. 

When the chicken is done place the salad on a plate and top with two or three chicken strips.  Add your favorite dressing if you wish.  I ate mine without any.  The sweet coconut and grapes added just the right amount of sweetness to each bite.  I am salivating now thinking of this yummy dish.

Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!