Tuesday, February 23, 2010

School Days

Well, I have been substituting at two of the local high schools in my area the past two days, and WOW I have forgotten what it was like to get up early in the morning.

While staying home with my two kiddos I have grow accustomed to sleeping in until 7:30 or 8:00 in the morning and taking my time getting ready. I have my own routine for the day that invovles coffee, feeding my kiddos, checking blogs I follow, playing with kiddos, putting Missy Priss Down for a nap, and so on until it is time to put the kiddos to bed at 9:00. I usually stay up reading until 11:30 or 12:00 and then fall asleep just the repeat the process the next day. Every day has the same pattern, except for Sunday.

Well here it is at 10:30 and I am about to fall asleep typing. While subbing (sp? is that even a real word of just slang...hum, wonder if I should know that since I am now a sub....) I have been getting up early to get ready and out the door and to school in time to figure out where I am going and what I am supposed to be doing.

On Monday I went to the high school where I was supposed to be a floater. Basically it was like starting your first day of high school in a new school. I changed classes just like the kids did. I had no idea where I was going...even with the map provided by the office. I knew the room numbers were in the 300 range. One would think that would mean third floor...well that's what I thought it ment. So I have no idea were the steps are and in the process of hunting for said steps I find the elevator. So I hop on it with a couple other teacher and a student (who turns out to be a kid I used to babysit on occasion). When I get on the elevator I notice there are buttons for the 1st and 2nd floor...okay I am thinking what kind of shcool is this that doesn't have the elevator go to the third floor??????

Well when I get off the eleveator I asked one of the teachers where the stairs were...becasue I needed to go to the 3rd floor. I am so glad I asked a teacher and not student. There is no 3rd floor. The 1st floor has 100 and 200 range room numbers. This is school and they supposed to know how to count...and number things correctly?

Anyway, the day went well until lunch rolled around....I didn't know where the teachers ate, or if they stood in line with the students so I just skipped out. I was very intimidated by a massive room full of high school kids, none of which I knew, whe were sitting at tables eating. There was no way I was gonna stand in the food line...for who knows what they were serving that day...and try and find an empty seat among people 10-15 years younger than me and eat. So I headed to my car to read for a bit.

When the day was done it was time for me to go home...well some time yesterday I finally made it home. Traffic around that high school was horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I waited 5 minutes just to be able to pull out of the parking space to get in the line to leave the parking lot...then there were a series of lights to navigate before I could hit the open road.

So hear I am at the end of day two of subbing and I am completely worn out and ready to go to bed. Those clothes in the dryer can be folded tomorrow...I know they don't mind to wait.

Hope you have a great one!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!