Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Jack-O-Lantern Dress

I have been planning on making Miss C a cute little Halloween Dress for several months. 

       **Side Bar:  One thing I have really learned this year.  Make things while you have the time.  You don't have to wait until you need that present/decoration to make it.  I had lots of time this summer to make things, but I didn't make as much as I should have.  Now that time is scarce for me, I don't get to make some of the stuff that I had planned. 

ANYWAY, I bought an orange pillow case from Goodwill this summer with the purpose of turning it into a dress for Miss C.

I cut the pillow case to the length I wanted, plus about and inch and a half to turn over and hem the top to make a casing for the ribbon.

Cut slits for the arm holes (I forgot to do this until after a I hemed my casing...so I had to go back and hem some more) and hem these as well.

Now that this is done you are ready to cut out your Jack-O-Lantern's face.  I wouldn't suggest anything scary or too complicated.  I found some cute templates on line, and I am sure you will find a perfect one too.  If you are a good artist I am sure you could draw a face too.  I am not blessed with that talent. 

Cut out the face pattern from paper.  I then cut out my face pieces from black material that I had attached to Wonder Under.  After the pieces are cut, iron them into place on the front of the pillow case dress.  Make sure you don't place the pieces too high or too low.  You may want to pin them in place and try the dress on to make sure everything looks even.

Once the face pieces are ironed on stitch them into place.  I used my sewing machine, but using some embroidery floss or crochet thread would be cute too!

Here is my final product on Miss C.  She didn't want to stand still long enough for me to get a good picture. 




8 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!
    and it's totally doable, too. And I love the second picture of your little one. :)

    (I came over from Tea Rose Home)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just darling! Great job!
    It is nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just too adorable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew someone would come up with one of these and I was just waiting to see one. Thanks! I am highlighting that somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured" button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, she's so cute in her dress! Don't you just LOVE Goodwill? My fav store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too cute Amy! I just missed meeting you in person Tuesday night at Daymar. :o(

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute. What a great way to reuse a pillow case

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so adorable! I can't wait until next year to make this.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Feel free to leave one. Thanks for stopping by!!